The LAP-BAND® Procedure
The LAP-BAND® System ProcedureLess invasive. Fewer risks.
With no cutting or stapling of the stomach, the LAP-BAND® System is up to 10 times safer than more extensive weight loss surgeries, such as gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. As effective as these procedures are, the LAP-BAND® System offers fewer risks and a generally faster recovery time — so you can be back to your normal activity in usually about a week’s time.
Step by step: How it’s done
The LAP-BAND® System is put into place during a laparoscopic procedure, using general anesthesia. The procedure is performed using long, thin instruments inserted through a few tiny incisions (usually 0.5-1.5 cm). Often done on an outpatient basis, the surgery itself typically takes 30 - 45 minutes.
||Your surgeon implants the LAP-BAND® System around the upper part of your stomach, much like a belt.
||A tube is then connected from the LAP-BAND® System to a small access port, fixed beneath the skin of your abdomen.
|After the first four weeks, adjustments to the LAP-BAND® System are made through the access port. This is done as needed — more frequently in the first year — to maintain optimal weight loss, by adding or removing saline solution.
Specially certified surgeons — providing LAP-BAND TOTAL CARE®
The surgeons who perform the LAP-BAND® System procedure have been trained and certified — meeting rigid standards for qualification. These standards include:
Surgeons dedicated to furthering their knowledge, experience and patient follow-up care are offered the LAP-BAND TOTAL CARE® certification program. Surgeons certified with this distinction have completed training in the following areas:
- Demonstrated surgical and advanced laparoscopic skills.
- Completed an Allergan training course (mandatory by the FDA).
- Performed several surgeries under the observation of an experienced LAP-BAND® System surgeon approved to “Proctor” the case.
- Additionally, Allergan offers another level of certification: LAP-BAND TOTAL CARE®.
- Patient education and relationship management
- Medical requirements and assessments
- Financial requirements and sources
- The LAP-BAND® adjustable gastric banding system surgery-related issues
- Food choices and lifestyle management
- Regular adjustments and checkups
- Unsatisfactory weight loss and complications
- Whole body image
*$9,888 price includes facility fees at Turning Point Specialty Surgery Center, surgeon and anesthesiologist professional fees, Lapband device, one year of unlimited office visits for band adjustments.