The LAP-BAND® Procedure
The LAP-BAND® System Procedure
Less invasive. Fewer risks.
With no cutting or stapling of the stomach, the LAP-BAND® System is up to 10 times safer than more extensive weight loss surgeries, such as gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. As effective as these procedures are, the LAP-BAND® System offers fewer risks and a generally faster recovery time—so you can be back to your normal activity in usually about a week’s time.
Step by Step: How It’s Done
The LAP-BAND® System is put into place during a laparoscopic procedure, using general anesthesia. The procedure is performed using long, thin instruments inserted through a few tiny incisions (usually 0.5-1.5 cm). Often done on an outpatient basis, the surgery itself typically takes 30 - 45 minutes.
At South Texas Surgeons in San Antonio, Drs. Wright and Carcamo—two of the nation's leading LAP-BAND® sugeons—take you through the following steps of surgery:
Step One: Your surgeon implants the LAP-BAND® System around the upper part of your stomach, much like a belt.
Step Two: A tube is then connected from the LAP-BAND® System to a small access port, fixed beneath the skin of your abdomen.
Step Three: After the first four weeks, adjustments to the LAP-BAND® System are made through the access port. This is done as needed—more frequently in the first year—to maintain optimal weight loss, by adding or removing saline solution.
Specially certified surgeons—providing LAP-BAND TOTAL CARE®
The surgeons who perform the LAP-BAND® System procedure have been trained and certified—meeting rigid standards for qualification. These standards include:
- Demonstrated surgical and advanced laparoscopic skills.
- Completed an Allergan training course (mandatory by the FDA).
- Performed several surgeries under the observation of an experienced LAP-BAND® System surgeon approved to “Proctor” the case.
- Additionally, Allergan offers another level of certification: LAP-BAND TOTAL CARE®.
Surgeons dedicated to furthering their knowledge, experience and patient follow-up care are offered the LAP-BAND TOTAL CARE® certification program. Surgeons certified with this distinction have completed training in the following areas:
- Patient education and relationship management
- Medical requirements and assessments
- Financial requirements and sources
- The LAP-BAND® adjustable gastric banding system surgery-related issues
- Food choices and lifestyle management
- Regular adjustments and checkups
- Unsatisfactory weight loss and complications
- Whole body image
STX Surgeons bariatric department is dedicated to our patients' care and satisfaction. Our team of professionals in our San Antonio office works closely with our weight loss surgery patients before, during, and after surgery. If you have questions about having your LAP-BAND® surgery performed at South Texas Surgeons in San Antonio, call us at (210) 220-1726.