San Antonio’s Top Bariatric Surgeons Dr. Keith Wright and Dr. Gerardo Carcamo Treat Many Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
For patients with diabetes, STX Surgeons in San Antonio offers a number of bariatric surgery options. Lead by Dr. Keith Wright and Dr. Gerardo Carcamo, STX Surgeons is experienced in helping patients with Type 2 diabetes lose weight while improving their health.
In 2011, the International Diabetes Foundation (IDF) released a position statement on bariatric surgery and the treatment of Type 2 diabetes, calling for bariatric surgery to be considered in the early treatment of this disease.
The document recognized that:
• In addition to behavioral and medical treatments, bariatric surgeries constitute a powerful option to ameliorate diabetes in patients affected by severe obesity.
• Bariatric surgery is an appropriate treatment for people with T2DM and obesity not achieving recommended treatment targets with medical therapies
• Surgery should be an accepted option in people who have T2DM and a BMI of 35 or more.
• Surgery should be considered as an alternative treatment option in patients with a BMI between 30 and 35 when T2DM cannot be adequately controlled by optimal medical regimen, especially in the presence of other major cardiovascular disease risk factors.
• Bariatric surgery for treatment of T2DM is cost-effective
• The risk for complications and death with bariatric surgery is low and similar to that of well-accepted procedures such as gallbladder surgery
• Metabolic and bariatric surgery for T2DM must be performed within accepted guidelines which include an ongoing multidisciplinary care, patient education, follow-up and clinical audit, as well as safe and effective surgical procedures.
Do you have diabetes? Are you at risk of becoming diabetic? Call STX Surgeons in San Antonio today to discuss your weight loss surgery options at (210) 220-1726. San Antonio’s top bariatric surgeons, Dr. Keith Wright or Dr. Gerardo Carcamo, are here to discuss weight loss surgery options for diabetics.